I’ve known about XBMC quite some time now. I always thought it was a software best suited for your Home Theatre PC’s (HTPC). Navigation is a breeze, and it supports loads of file formats from images, to audio to video. But there is one feature of XBMC that I wasn’t aware of until recently – and that is the ability to stream almost ANYTHING from movies to TV shows straight from the net to your computer, Raspberry Pi, Android device, iOS (Jailbroken Apple TV 2, iPhone, iPad) device.
In this article, I’m going to show you exactly how XBMC is the ultimate online media streamer.
- Download XBMC from here. The latest version at the time of writing this article is 12.0 Frodo.
- Configure “fusion” installer. Go to System -> File Manager -> Add Source (On the left hand side box titled “A Root”). Enter the path as “http://fusion.xbmchub.com” (without quotations) and name the source as just “fusion” (without quotations).
- Let’s install the repositories now. Go over to System -> Settings -> Add Ons -> Install from Zip file -> fusion -> video -> repositories. You will see a huge list of repositories. Honestly you will need only 2-3 of them.
Select “1channel-repository.bstrdsmkr-0.0.3.zip” and “icefilms-repository.googlecode.anarchintosh-projects.1.0.1.zip“.
- Now, we need to enable these add ons. Go to System -> Settings -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons -> Bstrdsmkr’s Repository -> Video Add-ons -> 1Channel and System -> Settings -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons -> anarchintosh addons -> Video Add-ons -> Icefilms.
You can proceed with other repos in a similar manner as explained in Steps 3 and 4.
- Finally, to watch media, navigate to Video -> Add Ons and select the channel you want. Your screen should look something like this :
6. Enjoy !!
These 6 easy steps will enable you to transform your install of XBMC into a media streaming beast. More repos and information on how to install them can be found on http://xbmchub.com.